12.9.08

Split-Foot Launch

Something I've had a lot of trouble with. I've gotten used to double foot punch take offs because I find they give me the height I need to kong with, but honestly, they're a waste of effort. You put all that oomph into going up, just to come back down without really moving forward any. Split-foots, on the other hand, are like the holy grail of the vaulting world to me. Smooth, controlled take-offs that slip right into the cadence of your run. Bam. Distance.

I was waiting for students to show up to the Crossfit parkour class last Wednesday, when I noticed the stairway into the building was the perfect height for a kong to doorway precesion. After about a half hour of practicing these, I noticed that I was actually split-footing the take offs, something I've never done without thought before. I was focusing on distance, not on my punch, so I guess my feet just did the most helpful thing they could! I'm going to make it a point to fit in some quality time with those stairs before every class, and hopefully train in some muscle memory.

3 comments:

Kellen said...

That was good training, right there.

I'd also just like to say that I was really impressed with your progression over such a (relatively) short period of time.

*high five*

Jereme said...

Thats awesome Janine! I love when you do stuff like that, its started happening to me with my opposite split foot but its still a work in progress hahaha

Janine Cundy said...

Thanks guys! Yeah Kellen, I was really surprised also at the progression I made that day. I'm starting to think that my fear is holding me back from A LOT.. because once I start to get rid of it, I see huge results in form and efficiency of my movements. Example being that night.
Awesome Jereme! That's skill there with the opposite split foot. It's once thing to plan to do it, a whole different game when your body plans it for you.