18.11.08

Explore

Old training spots are like really good friends. You meet them one day, and something in them makes you keep coming back, and over time you discover new facets and nuances that renew your intrigue. So far as I know, that process never ends, but then I've only got three short years of experience in this. What I do know though, is that it's too easy to get caught up in facing and conquering the challenges at these beloved training grounds that we can miss out on discovering new places. Last Sunday I took my bike and just kinda toured around Seattle and Ballard, sometimes with friends, sometimes alone, and completely without a destination in mind. Instead of noting that an area looked interesting and putting it in the mental list of places to come back to, I fully physically explored all of the areas of intrigue I found. Strangely, I think the best places found that day were the most unassuming, quiet, simple. I only came across them because they were close to something else that looked interesting.

With that, I'll leave you with a video Tim Kahn from Portland whipped together in record time. I really like his editing style.



Oh, and I'm aware that the drop off of the run in the beginning is lame. Eh, Even simple things need practice to remain smooth.

4 comments:

Jereme said...

Really nice calming video with some good movement in it, I enjoyed it a lot!

How often do you train barefoot?

Janine Cundy said...

Thanks! Tim sets a very relaxed sort of filming atmosphere.

When my shoes impede me I take them off... I find balancing, "touch" drills, and low-impact vaults are much more enjoyable without shoes. Really need to strengthen my ankles though..

Jereme said...

Wobble disc FTW

Matthew Lee Willis said...

Great video and comments.